How many friends, neighbors and acquaintances you have that are animal lovers, and yet one day when you ask where they adopted their pet from, they answer: “From the Friday Market!”
The main problem in Kuwait is the lack of awareness on what from our actions is helping the animals (pets specifically) and what is harming them.
I was shocked 2 months ago to find out that my neighbor who has a shih tzu, and a persian (cat that is), has actually bought her pets from the Friday Market.. sob sob :’(. What hurts is the thought that probably 75% of the animal lovers in Kuwait don’t even know how to help animals, but they just love animals for the heck of it, for their own pleasure, or love them being clueless. Hence I’m creating the term and category of ‘Clueless animal lovers’ in Kuwait.
So, who are the Clueless animal lovers?
By the way Clueless animal lovers have no bad intentions, they are just not that bright to think outside their tiny box.
- Their love is within the boundaries of their households, so they love their own animals but clueless about what is happening out there.
- They want to get a puppy or kitten with not much importance paid to where they get them from. An inexperienced backyard breeder, a neighbor whose unfixed male & female pets (of same species) had an ‘accident’ and got pregnant, the infamous Animal Friday Market (aka the Chamber of Hell!), or online searching for pets for sale in Kuwait. <= I’ll tell you little later what is wrong with this behavior.
- They do not fix (neuter and / or spay) their pets. Totally clueless! Be patient explanations coming below on each point.
- They pay money to buy pets as opposed to adopting them?
- They have absolutely NO IDEA about the shelters in Kuwait! WHOA!
- They make puppies and kittens at home and hand them over to relatives with kids, neighbors and acquaintances as gifts! WTF?
- Vets? Are there vets in Kuwait?
- Raisins / Grapes, Chocolate, Onions <- hmm no not sure what these are
trust me the list goes on and on and on ….
Now I’m addressing our Clueless Animal Lover friends, because you need to fix your attitude and you need to fix it NOW! before you cause more damage although unintentional to our lovely animal friends. So here’s how your actions are harming the animals.
- If you feel bad when your cat or dog or bird is hungry at home and don’t feel anything for the dogs and cats that live in the streets in the heat, hunger and dangerous road high-kill rate, then I don’t know whether you can be called an animal lover or just a lover for your animals
- You are indirectly contributing to animal cruelty. How? Ok let’s take it step by step, when you buy or even adopt a pet from a backyard breeder, you are encouraging this guy or gal to produce more puppies and kittens <= this guy is clueless just like you! They don’t know about the science behind breeding! All they do is bring a male and a female and let them mate. tsk tsk tsk. Another example, let’s say you buy from the animal friday market (the one in Rai you know? the hell of the animals?) Yes. If you are buying from there, you are indirectly telling the seller there: “Hey! Here’s money for keeping the animals in terrible conditions. I am rewarding your bad attitude with my business and hope to see more animal cruelty and will come and give you more business later”. Don’t you get it? YOU HAVE TO STOP buying animals from the Friday Market. No traffic at the market, means no business. No money, the breeding (Kuwait’s version of puppy mills) stops! Do you want these sweet animals to suffer? Put an end to it by not buying and supporting that Hell Spot!
- For God’s sake What’s so amusing about seeing the children of your pets? Are they going to carry your last name? Will they inherit your fortune? Why the hell do you need to see your pets’ babies? Please don’t! Stop it NOW! Don’t even think about mating them. Many people I know breed without any idea and the litter dies! Yes! or they get 3 – 8 new puppies and kittens to rehome. Why why are you creating this whole mess? Do you know how many homeless cats and dogs are waiting for homes in the shelters? So why let your pets mate and take away the chance from a shelter pet to get a new loving family?
- You pay money to buy a pet? You are supporting a dirty business. You know, anything that is driven by money will have mistakes in it since the main goal is making money here. And mistakes in a business of living souls can have fatal results. Please adopt from the shelters. Fine! You want purebred, then ask the shelter. After all you might get lucky right?
- Why aren’t you doing some research to find out about the animals welfare in kuwait? C’mon. 2 shelters: K’S PATH & PAWS, read about them and spread the news.
- So you love your pets so much and you produce their children. But then you JUST give them away to people randomly? You know a part of a responsible pet owner’s job is to ensure your animals are safe and happy. When you randomly throw away your babies here and there, chances are these babies would be abused by probably the kids of the family, or be neglected by an ignorant new owner.
- Devastating. Some people just get the pet. After that is just a waste of money. Right? <= So SAD
- These are toxic to dogs and cats. Google things and use the internet to read. Understand them better so you treat them and the other animals with love and compassion.